Skip to main content

Installing on Ubuntu 8.10

WxWidgets is available from ubuntu standard repository, but it often lacks several version. Fortunately, the developer of wxwidget provides ubuntu repository:

Add this lines to /etc/var/sources.list:

deb http://apt.wxwidgets.org/ intrepid-wx main
deb-src http://apt.wxwidgets.org/ intrepid-wx main


(note replace intrepid with your ubuntu distribution)

and then import security key:

#curl http://apt.wxwidgets.org/key.asc
#curl http://apt.wxwidgets.org/key.asc | sudo apt-key add -


if you don't have curl, you can install it first:

#apt-get install curl

After that, update the repository:
#sudo apt-get update

And then install wxwidgets from synaptic. Here are the packages I installed:
  • wx2.8-il18n
  • wx2.8-doc
  • wx2.8-headers
  • wx2.8-examples
  • libwxgtk2.8-0
  • wx-common
  • libwxgtk2.8-dev
  • wxformbuilder
  • libwxbase2.8-0
  • libwxbase2.8-dev
After installing the packages, the documentation is the most important. The html reference is located in:

/usr/share/doc/wx2.8-doc/wx-manual.html/index.html

I opened the file in my browser and bookmarked it because it will be my companion.

Now, I am skimming the manual trying to grab the essence of this framework.

Comments